–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Tuesday 15 January 2008

Great Start to the Day


Farmhouse Breakfast Week 20th-26th January
This event is held every year to promote the good wholesome breakfast, and I do try to believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I have to make a big confession, it’s one of those meals in which I don’t properly participate. Typically, I’m in such a rush on weekday mornings, that my breakfast usually consists of a hastily grabbed coffee at the railway station kiosk. When I finally arrive at the office, I’ll drink a pro-biotic yogurt drink, which I threw into my bag on the way past the fridge, before flying out of the door. Later in the morning my stomach’s rumbling again, and if I’m lucky, I might find a muesli bar lurking on my desk.

You’re probably thinking, that this is not the sort of breakfast I expect a foodie to be eating, most mornings! Sorry, but it’s just the way I’ve always been. I remember, as a child, I’d always be running late for school, and my Mum bundling me outside while thrusting a slice of toast in my hand to be eaten on the way.
However, weekends are a different matter altogether. With more time to be spent at leisure, breakfast takes on the role of a meal that will keep me going until evening.
Usually I would have planned the day before, what we intend to have – it’s become something to look forward to rather than being an essential meal for sustenance alone.

Yes, we do have the usual things like just toast and marmalade or whatever, but the Scandinavian style breakfast has become a favourite with my hubby ever since our first trips to the northern lands.
The spread will normally consist of the following: Salami, ham, marinated herring fillets, cheese, boiled eggs, slices of tomato and cucumber and seeded bread allowing us to make a variety of open sandwiches.
Yes I know it sounds a little over the top, but when you miss lunch instead, this is all very agreeable accompanied by a good Ethiopian coffee, and while we’re at it we indulge our inner children and watch SpongeBob SquarePants on kids television too! It’s the perfect way to relax after a hard week at work.
To visit the Farmhouse Breakfast Week website, click here

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails