–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thursday 5 June 2008

Solving a Radish Problem

I’m not very pleased. It may have been my fault and maybe I should have thinned them out, but my radishes are not making radishes.

They’re all leaves, very lush and juicy, but there’s no round, bright pinkish-red root at the bottom. There should be by now. The seed packet says you can harvest them in 4-6 weeks from the time of sowing!
It’s a little upsetting as I was looking forward to some crunchy, hot, little scarlet orbs in my salad – but that is not to be.





Sorry radishes for cramping your style and confining you all too close together, but you haven’t won, because I can still eat you!

Yes, the leaves are quite edible and you treat them just like spinach – they’re a bit on the hairy side to be enjoyed raw, so it’s best to cook them.

Mine made their way into a simple pasta sauce. I heated a little olive oil in a pan and add two grated cloves of garlic. Then dried porcini mushrooms which I had first soaked in warm water and then drained, followed by two heaped tablespoons of Philadelphia Light cream cheese. If it seems too thick, just add some milk. Then I added some chopped fresh oregano (from the garden) and shredded radish leaves
I stirred them altogether seasoned with salt and pepper and a good grating of nutmeg. To finish I mixed in some fresh grated parmesan cheese. Yum.

4 comments:

Just Cook It said...

I nibbled one of our radish leaves a couple of days ago and it was very tasty. I'm hoping that we get proper radishes though. Sorry to hear they didn't work out but what a great way to use the produce anyway!

Cheeky Spouse said...

Hello Alex, The leaves are quite nice raw, it's just that when they grow big, the hairiness of them isn't so good on your tongue!
I think I may get some radishes, now that they've got more room – I can just about see the top of the red roots starting to swell. I think a little more patience is the key!

Just Cook It said...

Our radishes failed. *sigh* I don't think we'll bother again.

Cheeky Spouse said...

Alex, sorry to hear about your radishes.
I'm determined to get some and have tried again. The seedlings are just getting their true leaves, so only a few more weeks, and who knows?
At least radishes can be grown pretty much all year round.

Related Posts with Thumbnails