–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Monday 4 October 2010

I've Got the Remedy


As I write this, I have an awful head cold. My head feels as though it has been stuffed full of cotton wool, my nose is bunged up, my throat is as rough as sandpaper and I have an annoying cough that gives me and everyone else a headache.

I don't much like those over-the-counter cold remedies from the chemist, plus I seem to have some kind of reaction to the decongestant that's in it, so I've come up with a far nicer alternative.
It's simple to put together, even when you are feeling groggy and out of sorts.

Pour a pint of water into a saucepan and grate in an inch piece of fresh ginger, skin and all. Take a lemon and peel off the skin into thin pieces using a sharp knife, drop them into the water, then cut the lemon in half and squeeze in the juice. Drop in half a cinnamon stick. Bring to a gentle simmer and let all the ingredients infuse for about 15 minutes.
Pour into a jug through a tea strainer, then add a good couple of tablespoons of runny hunny. Stir to dissolve.
Finally pour into your favourite drinking receptacle and sip.

Well it might not actually be the cure for the common cold, but it is soothing and clears the sinuses – aaah that's better!
Photo: ©childsdesign 2010

2 comments:

Jessi said...

That sounds pretty effective. I'm saving that!

My boyfriend always has me boil a lime (until it turns a darker green) and then squeeze the juice into a mug while it's still warm. Then you drink it, and then you eat a tbsp of honey. It's perfect for sore throats.

Cheeky Spouse said...

Hi Jessi,
It's good to share cold remedies. Your boyfriend's one sound interesting – I'll have to try that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails